But it’s more than that, I’ve concluded that shopping at Target is awesome! Charlene and I do the vast majority of our shopping (groceries and sundries) at the following establishments (in alphabetical order):
In terms of preference based on shopping experience, I’d rank Trader Joe’s and Target as tied, then Costco, then Safeway, with Walmart taking dead last.
Don’t get me wrong, Walmart does have low prices, which I greatly appreciate during this recessionary period. But Walmart is not always cheaper than Target as we’ve been lead to believe. And I love Costco for certain things, like meat. But honestly, the shopping experiences in both stores pale in comparison to shopping at my Target.
Here’s why my* Target is so awesome:
- The employees are empowered. One time I had an item ring up for a few bucks more than it showed on the shelf. At a Safeway, this would require the checker to send a runner to verify the price. The runner would then have to come back, report the correct price, and an adjustment would be given. Sometimes this makes me feel bad as I make the 3-5 people behind me wait as I get my few dollar discount. At Target, they said, “OK, no problem.” punched in the discount, and away I went. Nice!
- I get a 5% instant discount with my RED card. Can’t beat that in this economy.
- The store is bright, clean, and airy. Can’t get that at a Walmart.
- I get $0.05 for each reusable bag I use. More savings is better!
- They sell groceries. One less reason to go to Safeway.
- The employees are helpful. Unlike Walmart or Costco employees, Target employees are super helpful. If I ask about a product I’m trying to find, not only do they know the aisle, they offer to take me there and show me. Try getting someone at Costco to do that for you.
- The employees speak and understand English. This is not meant to be racist at all, but frankly, many of my local Walmart employees don’t understand English, and it’s very frustrating. I ask them questions, and the answer is either “No” or a shake of the head, even if I ask a question for which there is no “Yes or No” answer.
- They have a Pizza Hut and a Starbucks in one location. Nothing like satisfying your vices while you shop.
- They have frequent, continuous sales on the items I buy. Again, it’s all about saving money.
- Their pharmacy always has my prescriptions ready and on time. Try getting Safeway to fill a prescription on time. I’ve gone there numerous occasions when they called me to tell me a prescription was filled, only to make me wait 10-15 minutes while they unsuccessfully search for, and then re-fill my prescription on the spot. They freakin’ called me to tell me it was ready. Where did it go???
- I can get $4 generics at the pharmacy. More money saved. I’ve even had instances where the amount of the $4 generic they provided was 4 times as much as the $5 generic I got at Safeway.
- Their pharmacy sells my asthma medication in pre-mixed vials. When I have really bad asthma, an inhaler just won’t do. I need it nebulized. Safeway provided me with a bottle of albuterol and a number of vials of saline solution. This requires me to mix the albuterol with 3/4 of the vial of saline. (What in the world do I do with 1/4 of a vial of saline solution???) I even asked the Safeway pharmacist if I could get it pre-mixed. She said “No.” Target sold it to me pre-mixed without me even asking. When I bought it and ask if I could get it pre-mixed, she said, “It already is.” Talk about anticipating the customer’s needs!
If I thought about it some more, I’m sure I could come up with dozens of reasons why Target is better. But this should suffice for now.
Bottom line: If you have a neighborhood Target, patronize it. You’ll be glad you did.
*I believe most of this list applies to all Targets. There may be some exceptions, like in the helpfulness of the employees. So I understand your Target may be absolutely awful, and for that, you have my condolences. Now you have the street address for mine, so check it out and let me know if you still differ with me. But this has been my experience at my San Jose Target, and they definitely get an A+ from me.